Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Makes A Single Mom?

Single parents face a lot of unique challenges that couples don't. They need to be both "Mom" and "Dad" to their kids, or find a suitable role model for the other parent. Being a single parent myself, I did the best I could to meet my children's needs, but one person really cannot fulfill all of those roles, in my opinion. The good news is, two parent families don't do it all "right," either. We all do the best we can from where we stand.

One important thing we can do as single parents, is remember to keep our opinions to ourself about the other parent...unless it is to say something good! I cannot stress this enough. Often in a divorce, people see only the bad in their former spouse, and are only too happy to share it with their children. Or (worse), look to the children for support. I know it's hard to go through divorce. I know it's tough to go it alone. But it is just wrong to expect your kids to shore you up. Find a caring friend or professional. Let your children be children, and free to love you both.

No comments: