Monday, August 3, 2009

A True Beauty

I visited with a friend today who gives new meaning to the word "courage." I represented this lady in her divorce several years ago, and we meet from time to time to catch up. "Jean" (not her real name) suffers from Multiple Sclerosis. When I represented her, she was in a wheelchair and had the use of her upper body.

When I saw her today, however, she basically could move nothing but her head. That is very sad; yet what is remarkable about this lady is her beautiful spirit. Without exception, whenever I have talked to her, she's always upbeat. "Hi, how ya doing? Oh, I'm doing fine." Her voice is always positive and light. I have never once heard her complain, although she does talk about her condition when asked.

Jean is very spiritual, and like most of us in the spiritual world, believes that everything happens for a reason. She has explored innumerable spiritual and holisitic technologies to overcome this physical challenge, but so far success has evaded her. When I saw her today after so many years, looking at her slendor limbs stripped of muscle or fat, I wondered "How does she do it?" She told me, "I am just really wondering what else I have to learn before I can get up and walk again?" I certainly don't know. She has far more strength than I.

Every single thing she does takes enormous effort. For example, to use the computer, she has to use a voice-activated keyboard. But as anyone knows who has tried one, they don't always work like they should. If she wants to put something on the website I helped her set up several years ago, it requires an elaborate process of telling the computer to copy an item she'd like placed on the site, then telling it to post to a different program, etc. It is no wonder she hasn't been on the site in over a year!

Just swallowing a pill is a challenge. It requires someone else to empty the pills into her open mouth, then hold a glass with a straw in it for her to drink and get them down. And of course, whether she is hungry or not, she dooesn't eat until her caregiver comes and prepares her food. How can she possibly keep her spirits up as she does?

A couple of weeks ago, I injured my knee in a fitness boot camp and was in a lot of pain. It affected every moment, both waking and sleeping, of my life. As a result I was grumpy, depressed, and in despair...after just two weeks! I also headed for the pain medication asap, as it seemed the only way to get any sleep.

Talking to Jean, I learned that she is in constant pain herself (and I am sure it is a lot worse than mine). Yet she made the decision early on not to use pain medication, and so she doesn't. She said, "If I took pain medication every time I hurt, I'd be zonked out all the time." How can she do it? I am just amazed at this woman. How can she be so strong, and so loving to others, while living a life that would cause most of us to just give up?

But I haven't even mentioned the most remarkable thing about Jean, and that is her face. Her beautiful, shining face. The thoughts a person thinks are reflected in their face, and show up more over time. Jean's face? There is scarcely a line on it; no crow's feet, no frown marks. With the lightest of make-up (no doubt applied by her caregiver for my visit), I looked at her flawless skin and those eyes from which shone the most beautiful spirit I have ever seen. And I knew I was in the presence of greatness. Thank you, Jean, for showing me what true beauty looks like.

No comments: