Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What is a 53 Year Old Divorce Lawyer Doing in a Pole Dancing Class?

That's what I asked myself as I spun to the floor with my knees wrapped around the pole. Pole dancing for many conjures up visions of "skanky" dancers slithering around in a smoky bar. But for me, it means that it's Wednesday night at Pole Fit Revolution. (http://www.polefitrevolution.com/)
In my class, called Pole Danceology 101, I and other women of all sizes, shapes, and ages have the time of our lives for 90 minutes as we twirl, kick, and spin around the pole. Remember that metal fireman's pole we used to have on the playground as kids? Well, it's much funner than that! Nobody there but us girls, and we all cheer each other on as we work to learn the techniques. We are each better at some than others, but we try everything.
Why in the heck would I think of joining such a class in the first place? I heard about it from my stylist, image consultant extraordinaire Danny Zavala of Azenza Salon and Spa in Birmingham. One of his clients and her friend founded the place very recently, and Danny told me about it and suggested I give it a try. (He's big on promoting others.) I love fitness but I was intimidated by the very thought of the class! I remembered how much trouble I'd had shinnying up that big rope in gym class as a kid, just to make it to the first line in order to pass the class. I worried I'd never have the strength for such an activity.
So for that very reason, I took the class, to step way outside my comfort zone and open my horizons. My expectations were low, so imagine my surprise when I left my first class, feeling exhilarated! I'm no competition for the professionals, but I sure had fun! And that's all that counts, for me.
Life these days is changing at an amazingly fast pace, and we need to be willing to step out of our comfort zone and change with it. Sure, we may end up with a banged up knee or two, but it's better than letting life pass us by. What new challenge can you take on today?
"Your higher self is in direct opposition to your comfort zone." Donald J. Trump

No comments: