Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me, and Other Important Topics

Today is my birthday. I am 54 years old, and it's a great day to be alive! I am so grateful for all of the many blessings in my life, and I look forward to part two of my life's journey.

One of the great parts of living longer is the helpful lessons you pick up along the way. It makes life so much easier! I find that I am constantly learning and if I pay attention, I learn something new everyday. Sometimes, I even remember it.

4 days ago, I was sick. Nothing life-threatening, but I was suddenly overcome with chest congestion, coughing, and something that turned my voice into Donald Duck. Ordinarily, I have an aversion to doctors and especially emergency rooms. I'd rather die at home than sit in a waiting room for 3-5 hours! Usually I would just wait something like this out, and it would take two weeks before I was back to my old self.

This time, I decided I didn't have time to be feeling sick for that long. But what to do? I have no "regular" doctor since I'm generally in the pink of health. Where to go? NOT, god forbid, an emergency room!

My daughter, Alexis, told me about a place she went to called Northville Urgent Care in Northville, MI (248-254-0665). She said everyone there was very nice and it only cost a $40 co-pay (not the exorbitant fee usually charged at emergency rooms). Most important, she said she didn't have to wait at all, and they were open until 9 p.m.

That did it for me! My son, Alex, drove me there that night and sure enough, we got right in. The doctor gave me a chest x-ray, said I had acute bronchitis and laryngitis, and gave me a "Z Pack." I started feeling better the next day, and today, 3 days later, I am going to do a weights workout with my trainer. Wow! It's like a miracle.

This result lead me to reflect about other negative things in my life that I put off dealing with. I wasted a lot of my energy, worrying about them. But they never went away. And worrying never changes the problem, one iota. In fact, it makes it worse.

I saw that once again, Life has brought me the lesson that the quickest way to dissolve a problem is to nip it in the bud. As I write this, a physical example comes to mind. Between my neighbor's and my property, there was a tiny tree shoot that came up some years ago. At first, I would chop it short when I was out doing my gardening.

But technically it was on his property, so I stopped cutting it. It began to grow and grow and now, five years later, it's a large tree about to run into the electric lines and cause a power failure (a big problem in my tree-filled neighborhood in Michigan). I could have cut it short, or asked my neighbor to pull it out. But I did neither, and now it's an accident out there, waiting to happen.

Putting off dealing with a problem only makes the problem worse. Plus, you waste your precious life energy worrying about it in the meantime. How about you? Do you have any latent tree shoots, growing larger every day? Or toxic situations you are trying to ignore, in hopes they go away? Take a page from my book of Life Experiences, and do the smart thing: Take action now!

No comments: