Monday, September 7, 2009

Royal Oak: Jewel in SE Michigan

In the past couple of years I've become a real cheerleader for Michigan, as I grow more and more aware of all the great things we've got going. Just this week, however, I realized there's a true gem I've neglected to mention in my accolades - Royal Oak.

Last year, I spent a lot of time in Colorado, under less than happy circumstances (my younger sister's passing). The bright spot of all my trips there, however, was Pearl Street in Boulder. I spent much of my free time there; eating at Sunflower (a gourmet vegetarian restaurant), perusing the shops like Now and Zen, and finding cool stuff in all the hippie stores -like a scarf with jingling gold coins that tied around my hips. My favorite place was a coffee shop called The Laughing Goat, which I initially visited because in the Chinese horoscope I am a goat, and returned to often because of their world famous cappuccino with rosettes drawn into the foam. (Ah, the memories!) They had poetry readings there, and I remember one night when I mapped out my entire winning strategy for the trial in my sister's case.

But after all this time, I am thrilled to find that Pearl Street, or its near equivalent, is right here in my own backyard: Main Street in Royal Oak! For those of us who love beautiful things yet are still firmly based in our hippie roots, Main Street is the best.

For years I've enjoyed dining in places like Little Tree or Katana in Royal Oak, but it wasn't until I started a muscle fusion class (torture!) at the World Gym that I began to discover just how cool this street really is. Being a die hard Starbucks fan, I walked down there to get a cappuccino after my class. (It is very good there, but sadly, no match for The Laughing Goat.) On my way back, I noticed a very neat little store selling sexy Ed Hardy shirts and right next to it, a health food store filled with so many treasures you could spend the whole day there exploring the possibilities! I went inside, planning to get Nori for my cat and leaving with a bagful of things.

There are outdoor cafes all down the block, where a host of people are sitting and talking, often with a dog or two. On a bench in front of the library, someone I know puts on mini-concerts with his friend. If you're feeling lonely and want to meet someone new, just go there on Wednesday night (if you're my age) or Thursday night, if you're my kids' age. Wednesday is cruiser night, and Thursday is crotch rocket night. Men are lined up down the block, showing off their pride and joy. I'm not a huge motorcycle fan myself, but some of these bikes are just unbelievable! Obviously their owners love them, and the variety is unlike anything I've ever seen.

One street west of Main is Washington, which also has a plethoria of interesting shops. One, called Sole Sisters, has a sign on their window proclaiming that they were named Number One in Channel Four's "4 the Best" online voting contest. (Come to think of it, there's a store called Sole Sisters on Pearl Street, too.) I really have only scratched the service of this fascinating section of town, but one thing is for sure. No matter what mood you're in when you get there, by the time you leave Royal Oak you'll be feeling great! Check it out yourself and see what I mean.

No comments: