Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Note of Thanks to Some Very Special People

April 24th: I waited until I had finished all my travel posts to write this letter of thanks to my "host family" in Japan. I wanted to be sure I remembered every wonderful day, while it was still fresh in mind. Thank you letters always seem inadequate to express one's true feelings of appreciation, especially when there is so much for which to say "thank you." Nevertheless, I am going to try.

Mr. and Mrs. Chiba: (Yoshimasa-san and Fumi-san): Ten years ago when Kentaro returned home from staying with my family in the United States, you wrote and told me, "Just get your ticket to come over here and we will take care of the rest." Year after year at Christmas, Fumi-san would send me a beautiful card and gently remind me that you hoped to see me soon. Some years, I would write back and say, "Yes, I"ll be coming this year!" Then Life moved along, time passed, and I didn't come.

As you know, it wasn't until Kentaro wrote me this year and told me it had been ten years since his visit and "high time" I came to Japan, that I decided to just get my ticket and figure the rest out later. I certainly had no expectation that you would do anything, other than be glad to see me. You owed me nothing. Now that I've come, though, I am sorry I waited so long to reconnect with you and your wonderful family.

To my surprise and eternal gratitude, you planned my whole trip based upon your excellent recall of the things I loved about Japanese culture, and your guess of what I might like as a tourist. You made a special effort to get permission for me to see the incredible Imperial Villa at Katsura, and the Imperial Palace. You scheduled me for tours that gave me a good understanding of Japan's culture and history. And you chose a spectrum of hotels for me to stay at, that gave me a glimpse of the modern and ancient Japan. Yoshimasa-san, you even remembered that I was a Bruce Lee fan and suggested I visit Hong Kong while I was there. What a great idea that was.

Every place that you picked for me was perfect! From the Da-Ichi when I first arrived (I had so much fun pressing buttons to control everything in my room from the drapes to the alarm clock, once I figured out how to use them), to Hiiragiya Bekkan (where I awoke throughout the night to pinch myself and realize I was in such a gorgeous, authentic Japanese setting), to the Tokyo Bay Hotel Tokyu, where Kentaro and I watched the Disney fireworks from the Juan Sky Lounge on my last night in Japan, as well as every hotel in between. Perfect.

Had I been given the chance to choose anyone in the whole, wide world to be my hosts for my first visit to Japan, I could not have chosen better hosts, or friends, than you. It is easy to see why your children are such outstanding individuals. They get it from you.

Yoshimasa-san, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. You have much depth within you, a true intellectual, expressed to me through your various acts of thoughtfulness and courtesy. Thank you for welcoming me with books on how to communicate in Japanese, in both Tokyo and Kyoto. (You knew I would need them!) Thank you for allowing me to share in your birthday celebration, and for accepting me, as a gregarious American who knew very little about Japanese culture, and probably made a million faux paux. Not to mention putting up with my loud yet enthusiastic singing during our family karaoke night, and even making a DVD of it for me! It was such a fun night, and one I will never forget.

As a special surprise the first night I came to the Chiba home for dinner, you showed me a DVD of Fumi-san demonstrating the tea ceremony at my house, ten years ago. Although you made me a copy of that DVD I am sad to say I have not been able to find it in my luggage. Nevertheless, I appreciate your making it for me. I keep hoping I will discover it tucked away in a side pocket.

Fumi-san, there is nobody in this whole world who could meet you and not love you. Your countless thoughtful acts (like that umbrella you gave me for Hong Kong, and making sure my slightest whim was satisfied for shopping, food, or activities) while I was with you, your patience, and obvious good humor created an atmosphere of happiness for all, wherever we went. You are so much fun! Thanks for your energy and your seemingly effortless ability to take in a situation and make sure things go smoothly for everyone. Thank you for caring for me when I felt under the weather, for putting up with my dumb jokes about bugs at the Imperial Palace (obviously I was delusional), and for trying to fill me in on some aspects of Japanese culture (like Geiko and Maiko) that I "might" not have known. Thanks for putting up with my incessant desire for cappuccino, and for allowing me to join your family in celebration of Yoshimasa-san's birthday. Thank you for the wonderful "Bon Voyage" lunch on the day I left, and for waiting to wave goodbye, after I finally got through the metal detector. Thank you for making me feel so loved and at home, halfway across the world from where I live.

I waited to unwrap the parting gifts you gave me until I got home. I love them! Thank you for the green tea (and the special green tea for the tea ceremony), the special wiping papers, the lovely Echizen Urushi box, and the delicate and beautiful chopsticks holder set. The Kyoyki company, who made the chopsticks holders, included a paper that said:

"Kiyomizuyaki is a traditional distinguished handicraft pottery of Japan. It is completely hand-done by the most outstanding artist who works extremely skillful and artistic. It shows their fertilized one thousand years of generation to generation-history and beauty of the dramatic four seasons of Japan. We hope you would love it as one of your treasures with special appreciation." I will love it as a special treasure, Fumi-san. Thank you.

Mari: If Jake Shimabukuro ever got to know you, I am afraid his fiance would be out of luck. He would definitely fall for you! Thanks so much for being there to welcome me the minute I set foot on Japanese soil, and for patiently try to explain your way through my ignorance of the Japanese language. Thanks for your beautiful smile, and bringing your "boyfriend" along, so that I got a chance to hear you play and sing with your sweet voice. I hope that one day I will come back to see you giving a performance. Thanks for laughing at my goofy jokes, and being so kind to me. You are lively and fun, like your Mom. Thanks for the saki (that I never got to try, thanks to the metal detectors), and for making my time in Japan so absolutely wonderful. Thank you for the beautiful scarf, that I wear almost every day. I love it!

(P.S. I looked up to see if it is appropriate to refer to you and Kentaro as "san," or not. It seems like it is okay, but if it is not please forgive me. I mean no offense, and I do have the highest respect for you both. I just think of you "Mari." Must be your Hawaiian roots, lol.)


Kentaro: It was a bright day when Christina Wardell called me up to tell me about my new exchange student (you!). I felt close to you when you were here, and when I saw you ten years later in Japan, it was like I'd just seen you yesterday. Although you said your English was not so good, you talk like a natural! You are a young man, and I know hanging around with your "host Mom" is probably not the coolest thing on your list of ways to have fun. But you made me feel like it was. Thank you for that.

Thank you for picking me up at the airport, where I suddenly realized I was in a country where I didn't know the language, and for taking care of everything. Thanks for taking me to see Dr. Emoto's office, and spending the cold day tramping through the rain and sleet with me. Thanks for showing me Uniqlo, and Evisu, and other cool places you knew I would like, once I opened my mind to them. Thanks for the jokes about the kcals. Thanks for remembering your brother and sis in America, and worrying that Alex would be concerned if I didn't call. Thanks for taking off work to spend time with me. Thank you for your thoughtful parting gifts; the CD's, the Hard Rock Tokyo shirt to add to my collection, the lovely scarf that you and Mari bought me. You know I love you like a son, Kentaro, and you are always welcome here. You are truly the best. Thanks for being so cool.


Tristan: Although we didn't get to spend a lot of time together, I really appreciated your thoughtfulness in worrying that I was sick and sending me medicine, and coming along on the last day to carry my huge suitcase in Kentaro's absence. Thanks for sharing some of your family's illustrious history with me, and your Uncle's book. You were Kentaro's best friend ten years ago and you still are today; it's easy to see why. Thanks for giving me the goodbye gifts, for me and my family, just as I was leaving to catch my plane. The kids really loved them! Alex wanted the sumo wrestler, and Alexis wanted both of the ninja guys (although she super liked the "black ninja"). You are smart and kind and I know you will go far in Life. Just don't go too far! I want to see you again. Peace.

I love you all, and I will never forget the incredible time I spent with you in Japan!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mindy

Thank you so much for coming to Japan all the way from Detroit.
I know it's a long trip!

10 years is quite long and sometimes the time can kill some ppl's relationships but not ours.

Back in the days, I was young, passionate and vulnerable.
You accepted what I was and I appreciate what you've done to me.

The fact that you came here also made me realize how fabulous my family is!
I've got to love my dad, mom, sister and my brother Tristan more than ever.
I would love to thank you for the opportunity to do so.

You and I have gone thru lots of things since 2000. Of course we have changed. However there are many things that have not changed at all in us. I am so glad that we still can act like what we were back in the days.

The trip we had in Japan was the biggest event that I've had this year!
I still feel like your are around chatting. We all miss you.

Tomorrow is my last day to work in April.
In May, I will start working afresh though you already made my year happy!



Take care n stay beautiful like you are!


Kentaro

Anonymous said...

Dear Mindy-san,

Thank you for all your nice comments about me!
I was so happy that I could have fun and good times with you in Japan.
I think I love speaking in English to explain something eventhough I cannot do it well:)It feels like I can be a much real speaker than in Japanese.That makes me feel great.
Please call me Mari or Mali or something as you like!
A Hui Hou(see you again),
Sincerely
Mari

Unknown said...

HIYEEEE!!!! ALOHA!!!! wat am i doin here,ive got to be dreaming LOL the next time u come back to japan i will make u stay for 7 yrs than 2 weeks =) as long the court never objects!!! =) tnx for the time dat we finally met also the important message,,i apreciate it,, promise i wont go far,, coz if i did,i may not find my way to return like they say its better to be simple ,,we miss u,,we will meet again,,were COMING, take care always GOD BLESS!! {-_-}\\// MABUHAY!!!! BANZAI!!!!!
sincerely yours
Tristan''